California Drive Roundabout Project
California Drive Roundabout Completed
The City of Burlingame is proud to announce the completion of the California Drive Roundabout Project! The new roundabout is now open. California Drive now features two lanes in each direction through the new roundabout. All newly installed crosswalks are open to pedestrians. Drivers and cyclists can now access Bellevue Avenue and Lorton Avenue from California Drive.
View a two-minute video below acquainting drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians with the new traffic patterns.
As a reminder, for safety purposes, please:
- Pay attention to pedestrians crossing at the newly installed crosswalks;
- Reduce your speed to the 15 m.p.h. posted speed limit;
- Pay attention to all posted traffic signs;
- Allow cyclists full use of the travel lane; and,
- Yield to traffic already in the roundabout. Vehicles and cyclists already in the roundabout have the right-of-way.
There will be a ribbon cutting celebration in Parking Lot O on Wednesday, April 17 at 11:00 a.m. All are welcome to attend.
Additionally, here are some tips for motorists navigating roundabouts taken from the California Department of Motor Vehicles' California Driver Handbook.
When you approach a roundabout:
- Slow down as you approach the intersection.
- Yield to pedestrians and bicyclists crossing the roadway.
- Watch for signs and pavement markings that guide you or prohibit certain movements.
- Enter the roundabout when there is a big enough gap in traffic.
- Drive in a counterclockwise direction. Do not stop or pass other vehicles.
- Use your turn signals when you change lanes or exit the roundabout.
- If you miss your exit, continue around until you return to your exit.
For roundabouts with multiple lanes, choose your entry or exit lane based on your destination.
On March 19, 2018, the City Council awarded the construction contract for the California Drive Roundabout Project to Redgwick Construction Co. The project consists of realignment of California Drive at Bellevue Avenue and Lorton Avenue for the construction of a two-lane traffic roundabout at this complicated intersection. The project goal is to implement traffic calming measures by slowing down motorists, clarifying right-of-way for various movements of traffic, and improving pedestrian and bicycle safety at this intersection. The project components include:
- Two-lane traffic roundabout.
- Median islands with “Green Streets” sustainable landscaping and storm drainage management system.
- Comprehensive inclusion of “Complete Streets” components to better facilitate pedestrian and bicycle access.
- Yield signs and traffic channelizers at all entry approaches of roundabout to regulate and deflect traffic into proper one-way counterclockwise flow.
- Roadway realignment and grading to accommodate the planned geometric curvature of the road to reduce vehicular speeds.
- Highlighted pedestrian crosswalks.
- New ADA access ramps.
- Bikeway improvements.
- Improved safety lighting.
- Resurfacing of California Drive between Oak Grove Avenue and Burlingame Avenue.
Construction is anticipated to start May 2018 with estimated completion in February 2019, weather permitting. Construction will consist of the following four primary stages:
Stage 1: Partial demolition of existing southbound lanes and construction of new southbound lanes, landscaping area, and sidewalks fronting the businesses along California Drive. Stage 1 also included replacement of existing underground utilities such as the City’s sanitary sewer, storm drain, and water system within the construction area. Stage 1 will begin early May 2018 and completed around September 2018.
Stage 2: Demolition of existing center lanes and construction of new center lanes along California Drive as well as continual improvements to existing underground utilities started early September 2018 and completed within a month.
Stage 3: Stage 3 of the California Drive Roundabout Project is now complete. In Stage 3, the City completed the installation of new sidewalk along Bellevue Avenue/Lorton Avenue, new landscaping, and new irrigation and electrical system. The Contractor, Redgwick Construction Co. also repaired sections of deteriorated roadway along California Drive between Oak Grove Avenue and Burlingame Avenue.
Stage 4: California Drive between Oak Grove Avenue and Burlingame Avenue will be resurfaced. Additionally, miscellaneous work related to green infrastructure, drainage, utilities, signage, and striping will be done.
The project schedule is as follows:
During construction along California Drive, the City will coordinate with the contractor to minimize impacts to businesses and residents through efficient construction phasing and timing, as well as, continuous and open communication between the business owners and the construction team. During construction, please expect the following:
- There will be limited access between California Drive, Bellevue Avenue, and Lorton Avenue.
- Detour signs will be posted in the area surrounding the construction site.
- Expect lanes to merge before the roundabout in the northbound and southbound directions.
- Pedestrian access is available during construction.
- Travelers must reduce speed to 15 mph throughout the construction zone.
- Bicyclists may use the full travel lane.
- Uneven pavement.
- Construction-related noise during the day time.
- The Caltrain parking lot will remain open during all stages of construction.
- All businesses will remain open during construction.
Notices and signs for the duration of the project will be posted at the construction site. The City will do everything possible to minimize impacts and inconveniences, and appreciates your cooperation and patience during the construction phase. This website will be updated regularly with new information as the work progresses. In addition, please sign up for Burlingame e-Newsletter to receive City related news, events and updates on the California Drive Roundabout project. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the project team at email@example.com or 650-288-6436.
Sealed bids were received at the office of the City Clerk, City Hall, 501 Primrose Road, Burlingame, California on Wednesday, February 21, 2018. Bids were publicly opened at 2:00 p.m. and read at City Hall, in Conference Room B.