Social Media Comment Policy
The City of Burlingame’s Comment Policy
1. Comments, posts, articles, topics and submittals containing the following forms of content are not allowed on the City’s social media platforms:
- Comments not typically related to the topics listed and presented by City staff for the social media site;
- Profane language or content;
- Content that promotes, fosters or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation or other protected characteristics;
- Sexual content or links to sexual content;
- Solicitations for commerce;
- Conduct or provides direct or indirect encouragement or facilitation of illegal activity;
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems;
- Content that violates a copyright or intellectual property interest of any other party;
- Content that threatens any person or organization;
- Content in support of or opposition to political campaigns or ballot measures;
- Content that contains confidential or proprietary information about the City, its employees or vendors, or members of the public.
- Content that violates another person’s right to privacy;
- Personal attacks of any kind; and
- Content that bullies intimidates or harasses any user.
2. Statements or posts that constitute libel, slander and or defamation are prohibited; however, the City is not responsible to determine the truth or veracity of any statement made or comment posted by users of a City site or page.
3. Comments submitted to this site are monitored. The City reserves the right to remove or restrict any content that is deemed in violation of this Social Media Policy or an applicable law. Failure to remove or remove in a particular time shall not, however, constitute a basis for liability or damage.