Water and Fire Systems for Commercial Buildings or Private Land

City Water System2
  • Water service piping (up to 2" diameter) between the water main and the meter are furnished and installed by City crews. Contact the City for larger water service connections.
  • A building permit and encroachment permit are required for construction in the City right-of-way.
  • Fees for water service installation, modification, and disconnection must be determined and paid before work can begin.
  • Plans shall be submitted and approved for any new piping off City mains. All work shall be completed by the owner’s contractor per City specifications. City staff inspect material and installation of these projects.
  • See Public Works Water System Procedure and Material Specifications.
  • Arrangement for the installation of the fire system detector check meter shall be coordinated through the Burlingame water office. See fee schedule.
  • Contractors working in the City of Burlingame shall be licensed by the State of California and have a Burlingame Business License. Contractors working in the roadway shall have a “Class A,” General Engineering Contractor’s License and shall provide the Public Works Department with proof of insurance in accordance with Section 7 of the Department of Transportation Standard Specifications with the City named as additionally insured.
  • Fees and bonds are required for fire system improvements.
  • Call the Central County Fire Department at 650-558-7615 for fire hydrant flow information. To test for fire flow, click here for the application.