Bulky Item Disposal
Illegal dumping is not only unsightly for neighbors and families, but also degrades the environment and presents a safety hazard for bicyclists and pedestrians. Help keep our city clean and safe by properly disposing your bulky and hazardous items or reporting illegal dumping online!
How to Report Illegal Dumping
|If you find dumping in public spaces, like sidewalks or streets...|| Report it in two ways:
|If you find dumping on freeways or off-ramps...||Report to Caltrans at https://csr.dot.ca.gov|
|If you see dumping in progress...|| Call the Burlingame Police Department at 650-777-4100.
How Can I Dispose of My Items?
Got bulky items (e.g., mattress, furniture, TVs, appliances)?
- Sell it on NextDoor, Craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace.
- Donate it to a local thrift store, such as Pick of the Litter or Goodwill. Call ahead to confirm that they accept the item(s).
- Schedule a bulky item pick up through Recology. Note: residents are entitled to 2 free pick ups per calendar year. Additional pick ups are $81.55 each.
Got household hazardous waste (i.e., waste that is toxic, corrosive, flammable or reactive, based on its chemical properties)?
- Drop it off at the collection facility in San Mateo or find an upcoming collection event in Burlingame: https://www.smchealth.org/hhw.
Got used prescription?
- Don't flush medications down the toilet. Instead drop it off at a local CVS, Walgreens, or the Burlingame Police Station. Find nearby locations here.
Got electronic waste?
- Recycle it at GreenCitizen, a local electronic recycling center known for their responsible and trackable e-waste recycling. For a list of other locations to recycle e-waste, please visit http://recyclestuff.org.
- Dumping bulky items and hazardous waste is a crime in Burlingame under Municipal Code 8.16.020.
- Individuals who are caught illegally dumping can be fined up to $500 per day.
- Remember that placing items on the sidewalk with a “free” sign is still illegal dumping.