Emily Beach was elected to Burlingame City Council in 2015. She believes local government must be effective, responsive, and sensible – and its representatives must consider every decision’s long-term impact. Her top priorities include quality city services, transparency, community engagement, and fiscal responsibility. She believes in a thriving and balanced Burlingame; one that embraces positive change while maintaining deep respect for our community’s character.
Emily’s professional experience spans nonprofit, public, and private sectors. After graduating from the University of Notre Dame (B.A. Government and Spanish, Magna Cum Laude) on a ROTC scholarship, she served as a U.S. Army officer in Saudi Arabia, South Korea, and Texas. During her four years on active duty, she earned the rank of captain and the U.S. Army Parachutist Badge. Emily also worked as a business executive in Silicon Valley before re-inventing herself as a stay-at-home mom and active community volunteer.
Emily served four years on Burlingame Community for Education Foundation’s (BCE) Board of Directors, including two years as president from 2013-15. Under Emily’s leadership, BCE experienced the greatest period of fundraising and volunteerism growth in its nearly 40-year history. For her leadership, long-term service to the school district, and positive impact on Burlingame students, Burlingame School District (BSD) honored Emily with their annual H. Jay Burns Service Award in 2018. Emily also served as past-chair of First Presbyterian Nursery School’s Board and a Girl Scout volunteer. Currently, she is an active parishioner and music volunteer at St. Catherine of Siena Church, a Peninsula Humane Society volunteer, and a music teacher at UMC Nursery School since 2010. The Beaches are a licensed Foster Family with the County of San Mateo.
Emily lives with her husband and two children, both of whom attend Burlingame public schools. The Beach Family enjoys biking together, camping, hiking, visiting national parks, and following college football – particularly the Notre Dame Fighting Irish and Wisconsin Badgers. Emily is an accomplished musician and enjoys playing guitar, performing, and songwriting in her free time.
Committee and regional experience
Emily serves on several regional committees and boards. The additional duties reflect her passion for transportation, infrastructure, and environmental policy:
- San Mateo County Transportation Authority (TA) Board of Directors, representing Cities-at-Large (elected by the Mayors of San Mateo County)
- League of California Cities Peninsula Division Executive Board Member, representing Cities-at-Large (elected by the Peninsula Division Board of Directors)
- League of California Cities Environmental Quality Policy Committee
- Caltrain Modernization Local Policymaker Group (elected Vice Chair in 2016)
- Commute.org Board of Directors
- City/County Association of Governments of San Mateo County (C/CAG) Congestion Management and Environmental Quality Committee (elected by the C/CAG Board of Directors)
- City/County Association of Governments of San Mateo County (C/CAG) Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (elected by the C/CAG Board of Directors)
- The Grand Boulevard (California State Highway 82) Task Force
- Burlingame/Caltrans El Camino Real (California State Highway 82) Task Force
- Burlingame Economic Development Subcommittee
- Burlingame Public Art Committee
Emily also serves as Burlingame’s alternate representative on the City/County Association of Governments (C/CAG), San Mateo County Emergency Services Council Board of Directors, and Fire/ALS (Advanced Life Support) Services Board of Directors.
Prior committee experience
- San Mateo County Emergency Services Council Board of Directors (2015-2017)
- Fire/ALS (Advanced Life Support) Services Board of Directors (2015-2017)
- City Council Liaison to Burlingame Chamber of Commerce (2015-2017)
- South Bay Waste Management Authority Alternate (2015-2017)