Mayor Emily Beach
Emily Beach was elected to Burlingame City Council in 2015 and 2019. She believes local government must be effective, accessible, responsive, and sensible – and its representatives must consider every decision’s long-term impact. She is laser-focused on improving the quality of life for all Burlingame residents, and prioritizes forward-thinking transportation improvements, affordability, and fiscal discipline. She believes in a thriving and balanced Burlingame; one that embraces positive change while maintaining deep respect for our community’s character.
Emily’s professional experience spans nonprofit, public, and private sectors. After graduating from the University of Notre Dame (B.A. Government and Spanish) on an Army ROTC scholarship, she served as a U.S. Army officer in Saudi Arabia, South Korea, and Texas. During her four years on active duty, she earned the rank of Captain and the U.S. Army Parachutist Badge. Emily also worked as a business executive in Silicon Valley before re-inventing herself as a stay-at-home mom and active community volunteer.
Emily served four years on Burlingame Community for Education Foundation’s (BCE) Board of Directors, including two years as president from 2013-15. During her time with BCE, the Foundation experienced the greatest period of fundraising and volunteerism growth in its nearly 40-year history. For her leadership, long-term service to the school district, and positive impact on Burlingame students, Burlingame School District (BSD) honored Emily with their annual H. Jay Burns Service Award in 2018. Emily also served as past-chair of First Presbyterian Nursery School’s Board and a Girl Scout volunteer. Currently, she is an active parishioner and music volunteer at St. Catherine of Siena Church, Peninsula Humane Society volunteer, member of the Burlingame Rotary Club, and music teacher at UMC Nursery School since 2010. Emily is a 2017 graduate of the Leadership Program of San Mateo, Burlingame, Foster City and Hillsborough, and currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Leadership Council San Mateo County.
Emily lives in the Burlingame Gate neighborhood with her husband and two teenagers, both of whom attend public schools. The Beach Family enjoys biking together, camping, hiking, visiting national parks, and following college football – particularly the Notre Dame Fighting Irish and Wisconsin Badgers. They were a licensed Foster Family with the County of San Mateo from 2011-2020. Emily is also an accomplished musician and enjoys playing guitar, performing, and songwriting.
Committee and regional experience
Emily serves on numerous regional committees and boards. The additional duties reflect her passion for transportation, infrastructure, and sustainability:
- Chairperson, San Mateo County Transportation Authority (SMCTA) Board of Directors, representing Cities-at-Large
- Board Member, League of California Cities State Board of Directors, representing 36 Peninsula Division cities from San Francisco to Gilroy
- President, League of California Cities Peninsula Division
- Member, League of California Cities Environmental Quality Policy Committee
- Vice Chair, Caltrain Modernization Local Policymaker Group
- Vice Chair, Commute.org Board of Directors
- Board Member, San Mateo County Express Lane Joint Powers Authority Board of Directors
- Member, City/County Association of Governments of San Mateo County (C/CAG) Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee
- Member, City/County Association of Governments of San Mateo County (C/CAG) Congestion Management and Environmental Quality Committee
- Member, San Mateo County Office of Education’s Safe Routes to School Community Advisory Committee
- Member, The Grand Boulevard (California State Highway 82) Task Force
- El Camino Real Renewal Task Force (California State Highway 82)
- Broadway Grade Separation Subcommittee
- Bicycle/Pedestrian Master Plan Subcommittee
- Burlingame Public Art Committee
Alternate Burlingame representative for:
- City/County Association of Governments (C/CAG)
- San Mateo County Emergency Services Council Board of Directors
- Peninsula Cities Consortium
Prior committee experience:
- San Mateo County Emergency Services Council Board of Directors (2015-2017)
- Fire/ALS (Advanced Life Support) Services Board of Directors (2015-2017)
- City Council Liaison to Burlingame Chamber of Commerce (2015-2017)
- South Bay Waste Management Authority Alternate (2015-2017)
- SF Airport Roundtable Alternate (2015-2017)
- Burlingame Economic Development Subcommittee (2017-2019)