Traffic Safety & Parking FAQ

Traffic Safety and Parking FAQ's

Does Burlingame Have a Traffic Calming Program?
Yes, the program is called the Residential Traffic Calming Program and residents interested in getting more information may obtain the informational booklet at the Public Works offices at City Hall, 501 Primrose Road. The booklet details various traffic calming measures, how to get your neighborhood on a consideration list, and the process involved in getting traffic calming measures installed or implemented in your neighborhood.


  • Burlingame’s Residential Traffic Calming Program (RTCP) represents the City’s commitment to the safety and livability of our neighborhoods.
  • The purpose of the RTCP is to have a process available for identifying and addressing problems related to speeding, excessive traffic volumes and safety on local, residential streets.
  • By using various traffic safety measures, commonly referred to as the “3-Es” (Education, Enforcement, and Engineering), the goal is to alter driver behavior and reduce vehicle speeds or volumes in order to enhance pedestrian safety.
  • »view the program
What is Traffic Calming?
Traffic Calming is a program that uses various traffic engineering, police enforcement, and public education strategies to reduce speeding and cut-through traffic in residential neighborhoods.
How do I get a Stop Sign?
Burlingame residents may request the City to look into installing stop signs by writing a letter to the Public Works-Engineering Department at: 

City of Burlingame 
Department of Public Works – Traffic Engineer 
501 Primrose Road 
Burlingame, CA 94010

What are Stop Signs really used for?
Stop signs are traffic control devices that are used to regulate traffic flow at heavily traveled intersections. They are tools used by Traffic Engineers to help clear up confusion over right-of-way assignment at intersections. Contrary to common belief, the purpose of stop signs is NOT to reduce speed. According to State and Federal traffic control device regulations, “STOP signs should not be used for speed control.” Speeding vehicles are addressed through speed enforcement and traffic calming measures.
How are Stop Signs evaluated?
The City of Burlingame uses a set of conditions called “Warrants”, to calculate whether or not stop signs can be installed. These warrants are modified versions of warrant conditions specified by Caltrans and the Federal Department of Transportation’s Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). The warrant conditions carefully examine accident history, traffic and pedestrian volumes at intersections that are being considered for stop signs.