Prevent Stormwater Pollution at Your Business
General Pollution Prevention Tips:
- Keep your businesses neat and clean - it saves time and money and prevents pollution.
- Protect your storm drain inlets from pollution of any kind. Remember, only rain down the storm drain.
- Be prepared! Keep spill cleanup materials easily accessible.
- Use dry methods to clean up spills whenever possible. Never wash spills down the storm drain.
- Train staff regularly on these practices.
Material Storage Tips:
- Store materials indoors if possible.
- If stored outdoors, store materials on a paved surface, in a fully enclosed container, and covered to prevent contact with rainfall and runoff.
- Keep containers out of pooled or standing water. Regularly inspect containers for cracks, corrosion, or leaky seams.
- Use secondary containment when storing fluids outside. Keep container lids, caps, and openings closed when not in use.
- Have clean up materials easily accessible. Regularly train employees on spill clean up procedures.
Waste Storage and Recycling Tips:
- Don't dispose of any liquids or solids in storm drains. Recycle, wherever possible.
- Divide wastes by type and recycle, compost, and/or landfill as appropriate.
- Use a big enough dumpster so you can keep the lids closed.
- Replace leaking dumpsters.
- Schedule regular pickups.
- Provide enough trash and cigarette receptacles for customers and employees.
- Pick up litter daily. Maintain the sidewalk and parking lots in front of your businesses so that they are free of litter.
- Never wash mats or garbage into the street and storm drain.
- Encourage your customers to bring their own reusable bags instead of using plastic bags.
- Quick Guide to Stormwater Pollution Prevention for Businesses
- Best Management Practices for Food Service Facilities
- Best Management Practices for Mobile Businesses
- Best Management Practices for Swimming Pools, Hot Tubs & Fountain Water Discharges
- Tips for a Cleaner Ocean and Bay Booklet (English, Spanish, Chinese)
- Vehicle Service Facilities BMP Booklet (English, Spanish)
Report Stormwater Issues!
Any illegal dumping of spills, discharges, or trash should be reported immediately to Public Works by calling 650-558-7670 between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. During any other time, call the Burlingame Police Department at 650-777-4100.
For information regarding the City’s stormwater program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 650-558-7381.
Keeping the San Francisco Bay clean is a team effort. Visit the San Mateo Countywide Water Pollution Prevention program website at FlowstoBay.org for more resources on stormwater pollution prevention. Interested in staying in touch? Subscribe to the Flows to Bay quarterly newsletter.