Alert: Temporary Procedures
Due to new San Mateo County Health orders regarding COVID-19, the City of Burlingame is currently only accepting encroachment permit applications for essential services necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation and essential operations of residences. Additionally, encroachment permit applications are being accepted for sewer lateral tests associated with the sale of a property. Please email DPW@burlingame.org for encroachment permit inquiries.
Anyone working in the City right-of-way, such as street, sidewalk area, public easements, and utility easements, is required to obtain an Encroachment Permit prior to starting work.
ONLINE ENCROACHMENT PERMIT & STORMWATER CONSTRUCTION POLLUTION PREVENTION PERMIT APPLICATION - Provide your encroachment permit application or stormwater construction pollution prevention permit application via our new permit portal.
ENCROACHMENT PERMIT APPLICATION (GENERAL)
- All applicants are required to read the ENCROACHMENT PERMIT PROCEDURES and submit a CERTIFICATE OF INSURANCE prior to an issuance of an encroachment permit.
- Any construction activity that disturbs land, from small projects such as curb and gutter replacement and pouring a driveway, to large projects such as excavation for building construction, is subject to the City’s STORMWATER CONSTRUCTION POLLUTION PREVENTION PERMIT for construction activity.
- Additional requirements are required for any utility company proposing to install new utility infrastructure in the public right-of-way. See ENCROACHMENT PERMIT APPLICATION GUIDELINES RELATED TO INSTALLATION OF NEW UTILITY INFRASTRUCTURE.
Typical examples of the type of work requiring an encroachment permit includes, but is not limited to:
- Sidewalk, driveway approach, curb and gutter repair or replacement
- Curb drain installation or replacement
- Sewer test, sewer lateral replacement and/or connection to City’s sewer main
- Remove and replace utilities related to Building Permit for new residence or construction
- Trenching, excavation, or openings in City right-of-way
- Water or fire service installation or replacement
- Traffic control and/or pedestrian protection
- Underground utility and overheard utility work in the City right-of-way
- Placing scaffolding in the City right-of-way
- Moving trucks/vans, storage container(s) and debris box(es) in City right-of-way