AB 685 Notification Information
Read the text of Assembly Bill 685 here: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB685
Information about COVID-19 related benefits you may be eligible for:
- EDD State Disability Insurance (SDI) https://www.edd.ca.gov/Disability/SDI_Online.htm
- Worker's Compensation - you may be eligible for worker's compensation benefits (paid temporary disability leave and medical expenses) based on your positive COVID-19 result. You can find information on the worker's compensation process here: https://www.burlingame.org/departments/human_resources/hr_procedures.php You may also contact Human Resources for more information on Worker's Compensation benefits.
- Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL)/Supplemental Paid Sick Leave - expires 12/31/2020 unless extended. Details may be found in the City Administrative Policy Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- All employees are eligible for sick leave - in accordance with MOUs and salary/benefit resolutions. If exposed at work, the City will use the employee's accrued sick leave for the 14 day quarantine period, if the employee does not have any sick leave accrued, the City will advance the employee sick leave, or authorize the use of other accrued leave to cover the quarantine period.
- Merit employees also accrue vacation, holiday, administrative leave, and PTO in accordance with MOUs and salary/benefit resolutions that may be used if accrued sick leave has been exhausted. Links to these documents can be found here: https://www.burlingame.org/departments/human_resources/labor_agreements.php
The City maintains a Safety Plan that contains cleaning and disinfection guidelines, social distancing guidelines, temperature and screening policies, exposure control procedures, and other related health and safety policies. It is being continually updated and may be found here: https://www.burlingame.org/departments/human_resources/policies.php
In addition to this, facilities exposed to the COVID-19 virus are sanitized and deep cleaned by contracted janitorial services.
Anti-retaliation and anti-discrimination protections:
Employees who have tested positive for or been diagnosed with COVID-19 are expected to immediately report the positive test/diagnosis to their supervisor. The City shall not retaliate against an employee for disclosing a positive COVID-19 test or diagnosis or order to quarantine or isolate. Employees who believe they have been retaliated against in violation of this section may file a complaint with the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement phone 833-526-4636