Election FAQs

Elections & Voting

What are the qualifications to be a City Council candidate?
You must be qualified to vote for and hold the office for which you apply and a resident of Burlingame when you file for candidacy.
What do I do if I want to run for City Council?
Beginning in 2022, Burlingame will hold elections for vacant seats on the City Council, on the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November in even-numbered years in accordance with Senate Bill 415. To make this transition, the City will hold its regular elections in November 2017 and November 2019, electing Councilmembers to serve five-year terms.

The City Clerk acts as the Elections Officer for the City of Burlingame. During an election year all necessary paperwork to run for and qualify for the ballot must be filed at the City Clerk’s office at City Hall. Please call the City Clerk at 650-558-7203 for more information or to set up an appointment.
What are the requirements for campaign signage?

Non-Commercial Signs in Residential Districts, Section 22.36.020 »read

Annotation: This section of the sign code is to allow free speech of any kind on residential properties. The property owner would have the right to display signs up to 8 SF in area (so typical 2 ft by 3ft signs or slightly larger), and could have up to 60 SF total. This does not require a sign permit. 

Prohibited Signs: Signs on public right-of-way, Section 22.40.030(a) »read