California Drive Complete Streets
With the increase in traffic and bicyclists using California Drive, specifically north of Broadway, the community has raised concerns about safety along the corridor. The City has installed various safety improvements, including driver feedback signs, bicycle signage, as well as shared-lane markings in both directions (SHARROWS). Although these improvements have made a positive impact, members of the community continue to be concerned about the safety of bicyclists. In order to address these concerns, the City Council has expressed interest in exploring viable options to provide an improved and safer bicycle facility along the corridor, particularly north of Broadway.The City Council approved and provided funding to conduct a feasibility study. This study will determine the feasibility of building a Class I Bicycle Facility along the railroad tracks. In addition to determining if a Class I Bicycle Facility is a feasible option, the study will explore other potential options.
Purpose and Need
The project goal is to review potential bicycle safety improvements along California Drive from Murchison Drive to Broadway, by addressing an existing pedestrian and bicycling safety as well as traffic calming concerns brought on by vehicles speeding along California Drive. The design concept components may include:
• Comprehensive inclusion of “Complete Streets” components to better facilitate pedestrian and bicycle access;
• Options which will preserve existing on-street parking;
• Options which either maintain or have provisions to re-plant the trees along the corridor;
• Design concept of a multi-use path between the California Drive and the Caltrain railroad track (Class I bicycle facility);
• Design concept of striped bicycle lanes in the northbound and southbound directions (Class II bicycle facility);
• Design concept showing the addition of traffic circles and bulbouts along portions of California Drive to reduce vehicular speeds to enhance the existing shared-lane markings (Class III bicycle facility).
The first two community meetings for the public to learn about the new California Drive Complete Street was held on Tuesday, July 26, 2016, and then on Tuesday, January 24, 2017. To learn more about the project and what was discussed at each community meeting, the presentation and the station boards have been provided below.
1st Community Meeting – July 26, 2016
Community Meeting #1 Presentation
Community Meeting #1 Station #1 Boards
Community Meeting #1 Station #2 Boards
Community Meeting #1 Station #3 Boards
2nd Community Meeting – January 24, 2017
Community Meeting #2 Presentation
Community Meeting #2 Station Boards #1-#3
Community Meeting #2 Design Concept Plan #1
Community Meeting #2 Design Concept Plan #2
Community Meeting #2 Design Concept Plan #3
Construction Start- August 10th
Sidewalk and Drainage infrastructure improvements- August 13th- August 31st
Traffic lane Striping- August 29th – September 21st
Construction End- September 21st (tentative)
Project Bid Documents
Sealed proposals will be received at the office of the City Clerk, City Hall, 501 Primrose Road, Burlingame, California, until 2:00 P.M., on Tuesday, June 26, 2018. Sealed bids will be publicly opened and read at 2:00 P.M. at City Hall in Conference Room B.
Notice Inviting Sealed Bids
Plan Holder's List
Addendum No 1
Plans and Specifications (for viewing only)